– Alexander, P. (forthcoming, 2017) Schooling and Social Identity: Learning to Act Your Age in Contemporary Britain. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
– Alexander, P. (forthcoming, 2017) ‘Engaging in the Present, Imagining the Future: Findings from a comparative ethnography of schooling in London and New York City’, in Allen, R (ed.) Challenges Associated with Cross-Cultural and At-Risk Student Engagement. Los Angeles: IGI Global.
– Alexander, P (2017) ‘Coming of Age Through The Recession: High School Imaginings of Post-Recession Futures in London and New York City’, in J. Nelson and G. Stahl (eds.), Masculinity and Aspiration: International Perspectives in the Era of Neoliberal Education. New York: Routledge.
– Alexander, P. (2014) ‘Learning to Act Your Age: ‘age imaginaries’ and media consumption in an English secondary school’ in D. Buckingham, M.J. Kehily & S. Bragg (eds.), Youth Cultures in the Age of Global Media. London: Palgrave MacMillan.
– Hopwood, N., Alexander, P., Harris-Huemmert, S., McAlpine, L. & Wagstaff, S. (2012) ‘The hidden realities of life as a doctoral student’, V. Mallan & A. Lee (eds.) International Perspectives on Doctoral Education: A Resource for Supervisors and Students. Serang, Malaysia: Universiti Putra Malaysia Press.
– Alexander, P. (forthcoming) ‘Anthropology of Education’, in Oxford Bibliographies in Anthropology, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
– Alexander, P. (2013) ‘Durkheim’, in J. Ainsworth & G. Geoffrey (eds.), Sociology of Education: An A-to-Z Guide. London: Sage.
Peer-reviewed articles & journal contributions
– Alexander, P., Harris-Huemmert, S. & McAlpine, L. (2013) ‘Tools for Reflection on the Identity of Early Career Academics’, International Journal of Academic Development. DOI: 10.1080/1360144X.2013.817333
– Alexander, P. (2012) ‘Introduction’, Teaching Anthropology: A Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (Learning Unlearning Special Edition), Vol. 1, Issue 3, pp.1-5.
– Alexander, P. (2007) ‘Rethinking the Toxicity Debate: the vitality of contemporary childhood’, in Education Review, Vol. 20, No.1, pp.57-64.